When modern science & medicine say it’s impossible, nothing is impossble for Him. She (the author) is a mother of 2 biological children now.
Why do we mother? What spiritual legacy do we wanna leave behind for our children?
Mrs Eio is grateful to have Em around to help her take care of El. This is especially true when Mr Eio works overtime or is overseas.
Disclaimer: To be frank kids being kids, they still bicker, quarrel & fight among themselves.. but there are days, they are simply loving. 😘lol.
As a SAHM, there are things that she looked forward to…
Eio kids playing harmoniously together..
Having outdoor fun together…
Couple of months ago, Eio kids were instructed to do their Quiet Time before bed time. Mrs Eio is amused to hear Em leading his sister in prayer. He read this prayer bookmark (picture below) aloud. Word for word! El repeated after him. When they are done, they proceeded to reading. Mrs Eio was so touched that she wanna cry. Anyway… she had a good shower that night.
This is a “prayer corner” (photo below) set up beside their bed. Not well “decorated” but serves its purpose. Ultimate aim to for them to “self-service” if they need prayer guides.
There are days Em will do flash cards with El.
Mrs Eio thinks it starts with the parents reading with the kids. Then the older child picks up reading habits & read to the younger sibling. Frankly, Mrs Eio never once ask Em to read to El or do flash cards with her. It’s his own initiatives. Thankful…🙌🏻
Em reading to El… there are days Em read to El in the room & the house is just so quiet while Mrs Eio is preparing dinner. One important thing to note is that they must be within mommy’s sight. Mrs Eio will instruct them to read in the living room where she can see them while preparing meals in the kitchen. If Mrs Eio is bathing or in the toilet, she must be able to hear what they are doing & she will call El to report to her in the bathroom about their progress!
Lo & behold… after Em goes to primary one & sits for tests after tests… he came to Mrs Eio with a test script one evening & said El failed the test!!! Mrs Eio wondered what happened?!?!! Em set a test paper for El & guide her to complete the questions. For goodness sake! If El can do all these questions correctly, Mrs Eio will sure progress her from pre-school to primary one!! Haha.
Well… there are good & bad days. Look forward to the good days & the bad days will be insignificant. A grateful heart is what it needs she guessed.
Mrs Eio is thankful for his son- the big brother! – With love. ❤️️
一个月前的车祸几乎夺走了家翁的性命。感恩他活了下来，希望他一天过得比一天好，慈爱的天父会看护他并赐给他平安喜乐！ 就像圣经里诗篇121:6- 8， “ 白 日 ， 太 阳 必 不 伤 你 ； 夜 间 ， 月 亮 必 不 害 你 。耶 和 华 要 保 护 你 ， 免 受 一 切 的 灾 害 ； 他 要 保 护 你 的 性 命 。你 出 你 入 ， 耶 和 华 要 保 护 你 ， 从 今 时 直 到 永 远 。”
先生的坚强、理智、临危不乱，是我由衷佩服的。家翁出事后那几天，多美味的饭菜都淡而无味。当我还在痛哭，认为一切都很不真实时，他心中已经盘算了许多… 他的眼眶是翻红湿润的，但神仿佛给了他神力和安慰… 他的心是坚定的，思维是清晰的。
哥林多後書 5:7 , “因我们行事为人是凭着信心，不是凭着眼见。”- 圣经
Mrs Eio is starting a new category in her blog- Little kitchen helper.
Practical Reason: some of her SAHM or mommies friends are asking what she does with her kids at home? How she get them to help to prepare their lunch or dinner? What exactly Eio kids do when they help to prepare meals?
Here’s some photos & descriptions for easier references. Just sharing some ideas. She’s sure many mommies are doing similar stuff or even better job out there!👍
Please note that most of the photos are back dated as Mrs Eio didn’t really take photos recently when the kids help out. Will try to make an effort to take photos if possible. 😁
Why does Mrs Eio need helpers in her kitchen? Very practical reasons again!
- It’s a life skill they need to learn. Just like some parents think learning how to swim is important. 😊
- It’s educational. Eggs are not scrambled, poached, fried or sunny side up. There’s egg white & yolk too. Lol.
- Instead of them playing & starting to get bored… bickering around evening time… Come on! Do something constructive with/for mommy & the family!
- Kids to learn the process & be appreciative. If Eio kids ever question their mommy why cook this dish today or gets bored with certain dish. OK! DIY!!! After the kids started helping in the kitchen, they can better understand it really takes effort for mommy to prepare a meal for them!
- Eio kids like to help in the kitchen. They like to stand around to see how Mrs Eio prepare a meal. Aiyoh! Don’t stand around. Help out lah!
7 key pointers for mommies:
- The task assigned must be age appropriate! You can’t expect a 2 years old to fry an egg?!?!? Probably learn how to crack an egg is more age appropriate.
- Starts with small & simple tasks. Please refrain from getting the little helpers to do complicated tasks when they are asked to help for the first time round. There’s a possibility of them messing things up. If mommy starts to get upset due to the mess, they get discouraged.
- Set rules & boundaries. Be clear with your instructions. Hello! They are kids! There’s stove, knives (dangerous items) etc in the kitchen. You really want the kids to know this is not a playground right from the start! Especially if you have more than 1 little helper!
- Avoid wastage & unnecessary “volcano eruption”(getting upset). Eg. You may wanna scoop out the pasta sauce or put some ingredients into bowls to avoid the little helpers from spilling the entire can of sauce or messing up all the ingredients.
- Preparations needed depending on what you are getting the kids to help you in. Eg. Stools if your kids can’t reach the table top. Cutleries that’s suitable for kids’ use etc.
- Provide compliments & affirmation when you see job well done or good behaviors. Practice makes perfect. The more the kids do, it’ll get better.
- Last but not least, adult supervision is absolutely required!!! They are little helpers. Not adults. It’s important to teach them how to use a plastic knife & supervise how they do the task.
As you can see the Eio kids crack eggs & add the sesame oil, salt & pepper to the egg. Beat the eggs. But Mrs Eio did not let them fry the eggs then as they were already very hungry. As of now, both kids can crack an egg. Em can crack it beautifully without breaking the yolk most of the time. El is still trying to attain that standard.
From level of difficulty 1-5, 1 being easiest. This kind of preparation is considered level 1. Easy for both their age. For el perhaps it’s 1.5.. But still, very safe & easy to manage. 😊
Eios 3-part Marina excursion includes gardens by the bay, Marina barrage & Singapore Maritime Gallery. If you are looking for an educational & less crowded place to bring the kids, welcome to the Singapore Maritime Gallery.
Interactive screen to find out things that Singapore imports (ship in) from other countries.
Learn about how Singapore’s port develops over the years.
Ring the bell!! Em can’t reach it. Lol.
Beautiful view of the port.
This is the most fun part for the kids.
You may email the photos to yourself.
A place worth bringing kids to. Discover Singapore’s Maritime story…
Check it out: http://maritimegallery.sg
Finally, Eios at Changi airport terminal 3 Star Wars photo taking.
Eio kids choose their costume & pose for the camera.
The plane can only hold up to 100 kg. Em’s very excited to get into the plane though it’s just for 1-2 min.
After photo taking, Em enjoyed this free slide ride at basement 2. It’s about 2 story high. The queue was not long that day. The children must be above 1.1metres. So El didn’t get to enjoy this slide ride.
Parents can walk down the staircase to “fetch” your child or they can just simply walk up on their own. There’s another 4 stories high slide but the child must be more than 1.3m & above 7 years old to take the ride. It’s tougher for parents to “fetch” their children after they slide down as the child need to walk up the staircase & take a lift from basement to level 2 after sliding down.
The slide is just beside the playground. El continued with her play while em enjoyed the slide.
In Singapore, Changi airport is not just a place to board the plane or touch down from other countries. It’s also a hub with many activites. A place for leisure & fun.
Finally the National Gallery is opened this week. Eios make our trip there with lots of excitement & anticipation!
Mr Eio booked the tickets online. We thought we had to park at Funan center & walk over but we were so glad to find carpark in National gallery itself (basement).
Once our e-tickets were scanned, our journey began…
Mrs Eio loves the benches & chairs she sees along the way…
At the former Supreme Court holding cell. Em amazed at the toilet in the cell. Nowadays, kids seldom see squatting toilet right?
Yes! Finally Keppel centre for art education!!
There are a number of “work or exhibition rooms”. E.g, 1 room where the kids can colour & do different kinds of worksheets (different level of difficulties) FOC. The project gallery where the kids can do some crafts (chargeable). Children museum etc.
Going up the slope for kids 1m (height) & below. El was fearful to go up alone.
Beware of crocodiles…
Spot Mr Eio!
Roar like a tiger with the “tigress”! Lol.
Errr… Frankly speaking, Mrs Eio must say only the Keppel Centre for Art education is more suitable for El (3 years old). The rest of the exhibitions are more for the adults. Em could probably understand some of them as he asked thousand & one questions.
If you are bringing young children to the National gallery, Mrs Eio would strongly advise you to do so after their meals as there ain’t cafes or restaurants suitable for them. If you brought snacks for the children, you may want to exit the gallery & feed them outside as we really don’t want to dirty the place. (Not sure if food is allowed too…)
For more info, visit their websites:
Mr & Mrs Eio had a good time learning & discussing the following topics. It’s a great opportunity where they can spend quality time with each other without any distraction, especially from Eio kids. It’s 2d1n staycation, so it’s very much do-able for the Eios. They are blessed that Mr Eio’s parents & Mrs Eio’s sister are able to take care of Eio kids during their staycation.
The video sessions and projects cover the following topics:
Session 1: Love Happens (Purpose of Marriage)
Session 2: Love Fades (Drift to Isolation)
Session 3: Love Dances (Roles)
Session 4: Love Interrupted (Communication)
Session 5: Love Sizzles (Romance and Sex)
They went for the hotel massage service but it’s not so worth it as the staff ain’t very experience. Nevertheless, Mrs Eio is impressed by many tea breaks & delicious hotel meals.
If you wanna strengthen your marriage or top up the emotional credit for your spouse, consider a getaway. Married couples with young children can opt for a staycation.
5-6 December 2015, Cru will be organizing Art of Marriage again @ Village Hotel Katong.
If you are interested to have a getaway with your spouse & learn something, do seriously consider joining Art of Marriage.
For more information, Pls visit the website below:
Ecclesiastes 4:12 (New International Version)
“Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”