Eio kids love to eat dumplings! Weeks ago, Mrs Eio made dumpling skin (refer to the earlier post: Dumpling making | I am Mrs Eio: https://immrseio.com/2016/08/02/dumpling-making/ ) together with them but they didn’t have the time to really master the skill of wrapping dumplings. Mrs Eio has been waiting for a chance to teach them how to wrap dumplings but the plan was put on hold as El was unwell for a week…
El had to rest at home for a week. Here’s the day when El was better & Mrs Eio’s tired of cooking dinner. She’s thinking of a way to keep the kiddos occupied, yet having them to settled their dinner & prepared for their meals to come. No time to make dumpling skin that day & Mrs Eio already bought the ready made Wu Li Hao Taiwan dumpling skin from the supermarket a few days ago. Be sure to get the right ones (NOT shui jiao skin 水饺/ NOT Yun Tun 云吞 skin) . Otherwise, the skin will be soggy after cooking.
- Minced pork 400g
- 1 egg (realised one is enough)
- 1.5 cups chopped carrot
- 2 cups chopped chives
- 2tsp of grated ginger & it’s juice
- 2 tsp of sesame oil
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of fish sauce
- 1/3 tsp of salt
- Some pepper
- 4-5 tsp of corn flour (depending on the size of the egg & how wet is the mixture)
Mixed the ingredients together & chilled it in the fridge for 1-2 hours for the ingredients to absorb the seasoning.
Step by step:
- Wash your hands!!!
- Take a piece of the dumpling skin & put it on your palm.
- Scoop a tsp full of meat unto the skin
- Dip your index finger into the water & put a bit of water on the edge of the dumplings skin. (Explain to the kids that the water is acting as glue here to stick the skin together when they close the openings.
- Fold the skin into half & pressed the sides to close the openings.
- You can make gathers at the sides as you close the openings so the dumplings look prettier! 😊
Quality versus quantity
Eio kids were following Mrs Eio’s instructions. This whole process tells a lot about their personalities. Em would put the dumplings on the plate so that he could focus on making gathers at the edge. He wanted to make pretty dumplings. El would simply close the openings of the skin flat & move on to make the next one. She wanted to make many many dumplings. Lol. 😅
Lo & behold, Mrs Eio & Eio kids made 68 dumplings in less than 25 min👏 (exclude time used to prepare & chill fillings). They freeze the dumplings for subsequent meals. 👍👍
Here’s their dumplings for dinner on the next day!
Mrs Eio wanna take picture of Eio kids eating their dumplings but in less than 10 min (while Mrs Eio’s washing dishes), El had finished eating all the dumplings in her plate. She swallowed 8 dumplings!!! Yummy! Em still admiring his dumplings & how lovely they looked…haha. How they loves dumplings.❤️❤️