Mrs Eio’s first attempt to make Teochew Orh Nee (Yam paste dessert) since her father-in-law can eat something watery & soft now.
- 1kg of yam
- 2-3 cups of water (depending on your rice cooker)
- 1 sweet potato
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- Half cup of sunflower oil
- 3/4 cups of Nutrisoy soy milk (reduced sugar)
- 1-2 cups of soy milk (for adding to the finished product just before serving)
- Gingko nuts (some brown sugar & water for boiling the gingko nuts)
- Peel off the skin of the yam & sweet potatoes.
- Diced them.
- Put them into the rice cooker & add water. Mrs Eio used the “expert cooking” function of her Tefal rice cooker. (Some people prefer to steam them but you may need to add more milk later on or some water to the yam if you prefer steaming. )
4. The yam & sweet potato is done after about 15-20 minutes. Mrs Eio off the rice cooker & let it cool for about 5 min. She prefers to blend the yam & sweet potatoes with her handheld blender so the texture is smoother (instead of mashing them).
6. Switch on the rice cooker to cook & stir in the oil, sugar & soy milk. Add a bit more soy milk if the yam texture becomes dry. Some rice cooker’s heat is higher than others so the yam will dry up faster. The mixture will become smooth & pasty after stirring & mixing everything together.